I AM CASSIOPÉE

Towards the end of 2018 I had a mixture of background things going on that culminated in the discovery of the Cassiopée dress by I Am Patterns. A combination of needing new jeans (oh the chore!), looking for things to put on my Christmas list, and thinking about what patterns I wanted to make for the Instagram #2019MakeNine challenge meant that when I stumbled across the Cassiopée pattern I somehow didn’t dismiss it straight away.  

I pretty much wear jeans all the time, despite coveting a wider selection of garments – most trousers don’t fit my leg length or tend to gape at the waist, and jeans are just an easy wear. But the more I considered making and wearing the Cassiopée the more I realised she could be a good alternative easy wear! In Greek mythology, Cassiopée is boastful about her own beauty, so she must be good right? I took a gamble and popped it onto my Make Nine list (and then onto my Christmas list – which Mr Distracted kindly obliged!). 

Over the Christmas holiday I dived in and made a wearable toile! I used some left-over black chevron linen mix that I had bought for Christmas presents, I had almost two full meters and some odd bits, which turned out to be the perfect amount after a little bit of pattern Tetris.  

I made the size 40 as recommended by the pattern instructions, even though I secretly knew it would be bigger than I needed since my shoulders and bust are smaller than my waist and hips. But I am in love with it anyway; I even saw the New Year in wearing it, what better way to start 2019 than in a me made?!  The linen is a little bit prickly, so a layer beneath is required – but as it’s larger than I need there’s plenty of room, and this makes it a great winter piece for layering up!  

I wanted to try the pattern again in a smaller size, so I bought some lovely cotton twills and set about making the size 36 for a better but still oversized fit.  

Cassiopée is comfortable to wear, although I really don’t like the neckline facing on the twill versions (the linen one is OK) – it looks fine, but I feel like I’m always aware of it. I’m thinking maybe I will swap it out for a lighter weight facing instead. The version in the pictures is made with a khaki twill, the other twill is in a red wine colour; they were both £2.50 p/m and I used just 2m for each one. 

All in all, this has been a successful foray into dress making – and my first #2019MakeNine ticked off the list!

Kx